Facebook applied to register the word “LIKE” and the “like” button graphic in 2010. Recently, the Facebook applications were approved by the USPTO and published in the public record.
TiVo Brands LLC has filed six (6) different extensions of time to Oppose the six Facebook applications for icon.
No one has filed to block the registration of the term “LIKE” in standard characters.
TiVo owns registrations for the following images which appear on its remote controls and menus:
Some possible considerations if a dispute arises between the parties:
- the Facebook icons also include the word “Like” and a rounded rectangular box
- the Facebook thumb appears to be the back of a right hand with a sleeve
- the TiVo icon appears to be the front of a left hand
- how similar are the services of the two parties? Does it matter that TiVo features a way to integrate Facebook? That TiVo has a Facebook page that users can “Like”? That
- how many other companies use “thumb” images or icons for related services?
What do you think will happen? Will TiVo oppose the applications? Will the parties enter into an agreement? Nothing?
Here are Facebook’s LIKE trademark applications (click for link to USPTO.gov data):
Related Post: Update: Facebook tries to register ‘Like’ button (IPelton® blog)